We are SO PLEASED to begin offering a community-supported furniture and home goods consignment program at Homeroom! This has been a big request from our customers through the years, and we are very happy to have developed a way to shop and sell your gently used, well beloved, artful, high-quality new and vintage home furnishings, right here in the heart of Downtown Missoula.
PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES below thoroughly to understand our process for accepting furniture and home goods submissions. We cannot accept consignment pieces on a walk-in basis; please read through our Frequently Asked Questions below to get a feel for what we're looking for and to learn how to submit your items for consideration. Thank you!
GENERAL CONSIGNMENT PROCESS
The process for submitting your furniture for consideration is:
- Read through our guidelines and FAQ below.
- Make sure the item(s) you want to submit fits with our vision for the shop, based on the information in our guidelines. If you're not sure but think you have something special, give it a shot!
- Take several clear photos of the item(s) in good natural light, and gather as many details about the item as you can.
- Complete the Online Submission Form (linked below) in entirety, including item information. Partially completed forms or forms missing photos or other info will not be considered.
- That's it! We'll let you know within a few days whether your piece has been accepted.
Once your piece has been accepted for consignment:
- We will schedule a date with you to drop your item(s) off.
- You will bring your item(s) to the shop and load them inside. At this time we cannot assist with pickup or load-in; please bear this in mind when submitting larger pieces.
- Your item(s) will remain at the shop for 30 days minimum. After 30 days, Homeroom retains the right to renew for another 30 days, or request that you pick your items up. Abandoned items will be donated :)
- Consignment items receive 70% of the selling price.
- When your item sells, you'll receive payment via Venmo, Cash App, or Paypal. No cash. Payouts occur on the 1st and the 15th of every month.
What we're looking for:
- Fun, beautiful, and unique furniture and homewares in excellent used or vintage condition!
- New and vintage furniture and home goods with a mid-century, modern, bohemian, retro, minimalist, maximalist, or Scandinavian aesthetic.
- Sofas, chaises, loveseats and ottomans with no upholstery flaws from smoke- and smell-free homes.
- Chairs with some flair! Midcentury recliners, Eames style molded chairs, sturdy woven and wicker, solid wood, well built items with no wobbles. Individuals welcome, sets of two or four preferred if submitting multiples.
- Coffee tables, kitchen tables, and side tables with working drawers, a distinctive look, and/or minimal surface damage.
- Unique and functioning lamps, sculptures, wall hangings, and natural fiber rugs.
- We will consider some limited IKEA furniture pieces in excellent condition ONLY. No poorly-constructed pieces, major flaws, or super cheap items please.
What we're NOT accepting:
- Beds, bedframes, mattresses, bedding, or bedroom sets
- Pillows, towels, curtains, table cloths, napkins, linens, etc
- Upholsered furniture with stains, rips, pet damage, or smells.
- Glass or chrome dining tables
- Kids' furniture or kids' items
- Log furniture
- Office furniture or office chairs
- Outdoor furniture or lawn chairs (with the exception of some special vintage single-seater, non-lounge chairs)
- Appliances and electronics
- Large entertainment centers
- Melamine, vinyl, or plastic furniture (exceptions made for excellent vintage)
- Items from Target, Walmart, etc.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Can I just stop by the shop with my piece and show you in person?
A: No. To keep things organized, all pieces must be submitted for consideration using our Online Submission Form. Thanks for understanding!
Q: How much will I make if I consign with you?
A: You'll make 70% of the selling price of your item. At this time we don't offer trade-in credit.
Q: How and when will I get paid if my item sells?
A: If your item sells, we'll pay you 70% of the asking price via Venmo, Cash App, or PayPal. We submit payouts on the 1st and the 15th of every month. We cannot offer cash or check payouts--no exceptions. You will need to provide payment handle information when submitting your item for consideration.
Q: If my piece is accepted for consignment, can you pick it up for me?
A: No. Please keep in mind while submitting your items that you will need to bring it to the shop, unload, and bring it inside the shop yourself.
Q: If my piece is accepted for consignment, when can I bring it by?
A: If your piece is accepted, you'll receive an acceptance email with instructions on when and how to bring furniture to the shop. We cannot accept items at the shop unless it has gone through the submission process and has been accepted.
Q: Can I submit items that I made myself?
A: Yes! We feature furniture and home goods from several local makers. Please just make sure that the piece is well-crafted, safe, functional, and fits within the guidelines of what we're looking for when submitting.
Q: Can I submit non-furniture items (like jewelry, art, ceramics, clothing, etc) to be considered for sale in the shop?
A: No. This submission process is for furniture items and smaller home goods ONLY. Submissions of items that do not meet the above criteria will not be considered. If you're a local maker interested in selling your work at the shop, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to begin a separate conversation.
Q: How will the selling price be determined?
A: When submitting your items you'll be asked to list the original price (if available) as well as the price you'd like to sell it for. We recommend pricing your pieces anywhere from 30-70% of the original price, depending on the quality and style of the item. If we think your asking price could use an adjustment, we'll always talk with you first.
Q: What if my consignment piece is damaged in the shop?
A: We love our customers and trust them to be careful, but Homeroom will assume liability for any item that's damaged while in the store. When you deliver your piece, we'll do a walk-around with you and note any quirks, scraps, damages, or wear--kind of like the process for renting a car. We'll assume liability for your piece if it's damaged in the shop.
Q: How long will my piece(s) stay in the shop?
A: All accepted consignment items will remain in the shop for thirty (30) days, or until they sell--whichever comes first. At the end of 30 days, you will need to pick up your item UNLESS Homeroom agrees to renew the item for another 30 days. We reserve the right to return all unsold items after 30 days.
Q: What if I can't pick up my item after 30 days?
A: With few exceptions, any abandoned piece(s) will be donated. Please keep this in mind while submitting, and please plan to take your piece back if it doesn't sell after a month.
READY TO SUBMIT?
If you've read all the details above, please use our ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM to submit your pieces.
If you're submitting multiple items, please fill out a separate form for each item.
Still not sure? Here are some examples of aesthetics we love: